The Benefits of Permeable Pavers
According to the Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (yes, there is one), permeable interlocking concrete pavement is comprised of a layer of concrete pavers separated by joints filled with small stones. Stormwater flows through the pavers to an “open-graded” base that naturally filters out and reduces pollutants flowing into the soil subgrade.
Today’s permeable pavers are both aesthetically appealing and environmentally friendly. The ever-increasing choices in design, color and style can define the outdoor spaces of your home, bring beauty and elegance to your landscape and provide a long lasting solution to your paving needs. These are just some of the benefits of permeable pavers:
- Outperforms other systems in harsh climates with freeze/thaw cycles. Ice and snow will melt faster than with conventional pavers and will soak through the openings thereby reducing slip hazards
- Reduces the opportunity for heaving by providing adequate space for ice to expand in the open graded base
- Withstands harsh deicing salts, and snow can be safely and easily removed with snow shovels, snow blowers or snow plows
- Choices of shapes and colors and patterns creates remarkable curb appeal
- Creates a smooth, stable pavement surface with minimal openings complying with ADA criteria
- Provides 100% storm water infiltration (up to 6” of rainfall per hour over the design life of the pavement)
- Eliminates standing water on surfaces without sloping
- Filters contaminates from water naturally
- Replenishes the water table
- EPA recognized Best Management Practice and meets Low Impact Development criteria
- Qualifies for credits under the LEED Green Building Certification System
- Paving cost is comparable to conventional pavement with catch basins and underground pipe.
If you are interested in adding the practical beauty of permeable pavers to your home, call us or email us at Premier Pavers and Hardscape Company.